Why Doesn’t Everyone with Mercury Fillings Get Sick?

Mercury is a poison. It doesn’t belong in the human body. Yet dentists continue to put it in people’s mouths via “silver” amalgam fillings – fillings that are actually about 50% mercury. More than two-thirds of Americans have had at least one. The average adult has at least 10. And despite ADA claims, the mercury in them does not become inert once the filling is placed. That would require magic. In reality, vapor is released constantly, and it circulates through the whole body, eventually accumulating in all tissues but especially the kidneys and liver – major excretory organs – as well as the brain. The longer the fillings are there, the more mercury your body stores and the greater your chance of becoming very, very ill. Indeed, mercury poisoning has been implicated in a number of chronic illnesses, including Alzheimer’s, Lou Gehrig’s disease, MS, Parkinson’s, CFS and fibromyalgia.

 

amanky/Flickr

 

So why doesn’t everyone with mercury fillings get sick?

That a person can have them and not get sick tells us nothing about the fillings and everything about that individual’s constitution, immune response and ability to excrete toxins. Consider: if you have a healthy, robust immune system, you can be exposed to many pathogens without getting sick. It’s why not everyone gets the flu each year – or gets the same kind. Likewise, a person in good health and with few other risk factors may be able to bear the burden of mercury…for a time. But if they become ill or take up bad habits (e.g., eating junk food, taking drugs, smoking), their body becomes less and less able to rid itself of the mercury. That’s when you begin to see symptoms of Dental Amalgam Syndrome. These include:

  • Metallic taste, sore gums, inflamed gums, ulcerations and other oral problems
  • Headaches, vertigo, tinnitus, tremors and other neurological problems
  • Memory loss, depression, irritability, sleep disturbances and other psychological problems
  • Chest pain, weak pulse, changes in blood pressure and other cardiovascular problems
  • Respiratory problems
  • Digestive problems

In children, the symptoms may manifest as an autism spectrum disorder or ADD/ADHD.

Thus, those who are already dealing with chronic illness would do well to look into possible dental causes. But it’s important to make sure that the mercury is in fact the main problem or if other causes are involved. Seldom is any case completely straightforward. We must look at all contributing factors and then work with the patient to prioritize treatments in an effort to bring the most healing as quickly as possible, while reducing the risk of creating illness elsewhere in the body.

Indeed, if mercury removal is pursued, any illness could get worse if specific safety precautions are not taken to minimize the amount of vapor the patient is exposed to during the procedures. Current symptoms can be aggravated. New ones can be triggered. In a way, this seems to me even more unconscionable than placing the mercury fillings in the first place, worsening the problem the practitioner is purporting to cure.

Thus, those who have amalgams but are not ill or experiencing symptoms should especially consider the risks and benefits of removal versus those of keeping them in place. We’ve already looked at some of the risks of leaving them alone. As for benefits? You don’t have to deal with the trauma of extensive dental procedures, and you do get the short term financial savings – though at the risk of greater costs down the road.

The benefits of removal, on the other hand, include improved health and function, as well as a more attractive smile, since the replacements will contain no metal and look as much like your natural teeth as possible. Also, in placing the new restorations, we can adjust your bite so that your teeth come together better. This, too, can benefit your health, as proper occlusion supports proper breathing and posture, which can prevent pain and increase energy. The risks, of course, include the toxication mentioned above.

So the key is: what do we do to reduce risk?

The ideal treatment begins before removal, in preparing your body to heal – especially if you are already ill from mercury poisoning. Again, you got sick because your body couldn’t get rid of the mercury leaching from your fillings. That mercury then accumulated in your body tissues. Thus, we must help your body become more able to excrete it once the source is removed. Most often, this treatment involves nutritional changes, supplementation and the use of homeopathics, and it normally continues through post-removal detox. At that point, you may choose to pursue other treatments, as well – chelation therapy, body work, energy medicine, sauna and others that aid the body in releasing toxins.

In removing amalgams, I follow the IAOMT protocol (PDF), which is standard among biological dentists. It addresses the safety of both the patient and the dental team, and the goal is to minimize exposure to the mercury particles and vapor generated during removal. It includes measures such as:

  • Protective covering for the patient, dentist and staff, including protection for the eyes, hair and clothing
  • Fresh oxygen via nose mask for the patient and filtration masks for the dentist and assistants
  • Isolation of the teeth to be worked on with a dental dam, to keep mercury from being swallowed
  • Air purifiers for the room
  • Sectioning of the amalgams and removing them in chunks
  • Lots of cold water to keep the teeth cool and reduce vaporization of the mercury under the force of the high-speed drill
  • Use of evacuators to suck up water and vapor

Also important is what you replace the amalgams with. Before removal, testing should be done to determine biocompatible replacement materials. The last thing we want to do is replace one toxic material with another, or one that may cause an allergic response. For the goal in mercury removal, of course, is to enhance your health.

Consider your options. Inform yourself as to the risks and benefits. Make a truly informed choice.

 

Advertisements

5 Comments

Filed under Mercury

5 responses to “Why Doesn’t Everyone with Mercury Fillings Get Sick?

  1. this is a very interesting article, for more information on the dangers of mercury and how you can prevent it, please see http://blog.mygreencure.com/?p=7

  2. A Hot Auto-immune Mess

    I’m normally not a believer in reverting back to an all-natural approach to health or being concerned with this-and-that being a “toxin”. Our ancestors practiced the ultimate in the all-natural approach because they had nothing but herbs, leeches, and old-wives’ tales and were lucky to live to the age of 50 (and they also used asbestos pot holders and Coca Cola had real cocaine in it) but I experienced my own epiphany with silver fillings. I know for a fact that there’s an auto-immune party going on in my bloodstream and it always has gone on- if I were a betting woman I’d say it’s due to a genetic defect of some sort because my problems started long before I had my first silver filling in my mouth, but for a period of time I was suffering with severe digestive system problems. Other than being diagnosed with small bowel bacterial overgrowth syndrome I have never been able to find out the exact cause of those issues- they mirrored inflammatory bowel disease (bacterial overgrowth wasn’t enough to explain all of the symptoms) but my mother had run into an article about mercury in fillings possibly being the cause of a myriad of problems. I know for a fact that I’m literally allergic to everything on the environmental allergy testing panel and I probably have more auto-immune antibodies than the ANA, DNA, and Thyroid ones that have been scientifically confirmed, so I decided to have all of my silver fillings removed. I had them in every single molar except one. I took every Friday off from work one summer and went to the dentist every week. By the time we were halfway through the process my digestive symptoms had significantly improved and I no longer needed the medications I had previously taken for colitis. It wasn’t a miracle cure for the rest of my strange ills, but hey- it’s one less thing. I figured, why give my body another thing to react against if I don’t have to?

    • donna che

      Where did you go to have the mercury removed? How much did it cost?

      • Ken

        I just did a keyword search for “dentists who safely remove silver fillings” in whatever city you are in. I have 7. One needs a crown. The total bill is $5200 for all 7. I’m on hold because I haven’t worked in 8 months but I would really like to get them out to see if it gets me feeling any better. Good luck to you

  3. Corrotion Potion

    Amalgums, metal silver on teeth looks ugly and disgusting. Silver mercury teeth are ugly. Teeth without metal mixed in with the bones looks more comely, definition more beautiful then does a tooth with something that sould not be mixed in with it, on top of it. I have one that looks particularly hideous in the back of my mouth on the left side of my jaw. Teeth without mercury are lovely, because they look more natural. Teeth with metal are unnatural. Why would our government want metal in my mouth for and everyone else’s for anyway?